Canadian Certified Playground Inspector Recertification Options
Should a participant wish to renew their Canadian Certified Playground Inspector status, they may do so by following the guidelines below.
For certification expired within 6 months
A participant may choose to write the Online Recertification Exam.
- If a participant chooses this option and registers for, but does not write the Online Recertification Exam within 6 months of his/her certification expiry date, access to the exam will be revoked. This participants certification would now be considered expired for more than 6 months.
- A participant may choose to take the Online Recertification Preparation Course and write the Online Recertification Exam.
- A participant may attend the classroom Practical Course and write the classroom Recertification Exam, or write the Online Recertification Exam within 6 months of their certification expiry date.
- A participant may choose to completely recertify by taking the Theory and Practical Courses and scoring 70 percent or higher on the exams associated with each Course.
Expired between 6-24 months
A participant wishing to write the Online Recertification Exam, must take the Online Recertification Preparation Course before being eligible to write the exam.
- Participants who have previously had access to the Online Recertification Exam revoked, will be reinstated without any additional fee, upon completion of the Online Recertification Preparation Course.
- Participants who chose this option and do not complete the exam within 24 months of their certification expiry date will have their access to the exam revoked and their certification will be considered expired for more than 24 months.
- A participant may attend the classroom Practical Course and write the classroom Recertification Exam, or take the Online Recertification Exam Preparation Course and write the Online Recertification Exam during this period.
- Participants may choose to completely recertify, by taking Theory and Practical Courses and scoring 70 percent or higher on the exams associated with each Course.
Expired more than 24 months
- If the participant does not write the Recertification Exam with 24 months of the certification expiry date, he/she will need to begin the certification process from the beginning by successfully completing the Course and exam for both the Theory and Practical Courses.
Renewed Certification period
- Participants should note that the new three-year certification period begins on the date they comple a re-certification exam, not on their previous certification expiry date.
- Participants who do not recertify by their expiry date are considered to be expired, or not certified beginning on the date of their expiry.
- If a participants is past the expiry date of certification and is registered to write an exam, the are considered to be expired, but in the process of recertification.
The CPSI Online Recertification Exam
To register for the Online Recertification Exam, use our online registration system - click here.
Or, if you prefer, download the registration form to scan and email or fax to our office for processing - click here.
Please ensure the individual writing the recertification exam has read this information prior to registering for the recertification exam.
In order to be eligible to write this exam, you must have previously been a Canadian Certified Playground Inspector and completed both the Theory and the Practical courses. If you are uncertain whether or not you meet these requirements, please contact the Canadian Playground Safety Institue. Should you complete this exam and be deemed ineligible, and have not been previously certified, you forfeit the exam fee and your mark will be voided. You are not permitted to have assistance from any other individual while writing the exam.
The CPSI recertification exam is an open book exam based on the information presented and discussed through the CPSI Theory and Practical courses. All questions within this exam relating to the CSA standards pertain to the most current version of Children’s Playspaces and Equipment (CAN/CSA Z614). Please ensure that you have this document available prior to beginning the exam. You may also use other resources such as the resource manuals received when attending the CPSI courses.
The exam consists of multiple choice, true-false / yes-no and fill in the blank questions requiring the identification of clause numbers.
The exam is not-timed but takes most people less than 3 hours to write. Please ensure that you have three hours of uninterrupted time to answer questions. Your exam mark is provided to you within moments after submitting the final section of the exam. Official correspondence will be sent to you by mail from CPSI.